Friday, October 2, 2009

You want me to eat what?

Broccoli. Garlic. Bok choy. Onions. Cabbage. Soy. Tumeric. Raspberries. Blueberries.

Want to know what these foods have in common? They're sited as cancer fighting foods in multiple books that I've perused since my diagnosis. And you know what? This pisses me off.

Why would a list of foods piss me off? THOSE ARE FOODS I EAT. All the time. Broccoli is on the table around here 3-4 times a week, if not more in the winter. Onions and garlic? I can't cook anything without onions and garlic. Lots of garlic. Raspberries and blueberries are a winter staple as well because we can get them frozen. Cabbage? Soy? Tumeric? Yep, those frequent my plate as well. Other foods like squashes I eat all the time too.

I guess it once again leaves me baffled as to WHY. Unfortunately, I don't think the why is something anyone can tell us. My surgeon attributed it to bad luck. That's damn bad luck, man. Some might say that they whys don't matter, I should deal with the here and now. Perhaps if I didn't have young children who are now at a huge risk for colorectal cancer, I wouldn't think about the whys so much. What can I tell them, besides to start getting colonoscopies in their 20s, to help them protect themselves?

That's just one of the many things I think about on a regular basis.

3 comments:

  1. Sheri, I worry about the same thing for Madeline and Elliot. I wish I could say something to help you feel better but I haven't found anything to help comfort myself yet either. Just the 'take each day as it comes' motto, but that gets irritating after a while (at least for me it does) because with each day the thought/ possibility is still there....
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the food information and the whys must be beyond frustrating; the worrying for Eli and Reese beyond heartbreaking. Thinking of you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food is such a SMALL part of the equation. It is not like the huge part smoking takes in cancer. Since you eat all the right foods anyway, and don't smoke don't beat yourself up about it...

    Mike

    ReplyDelete