Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Deep calming breaths...

The morning started out just a tad rocky. Sometimes I just get tired of dealing with appointments and other people's schedules and going out every morning. As if I didn't go out just about every morning to take the kids someplace before, right? Radiation is like going to a job I really don't like. I find myself driving slower (sorry other drivers on 441 this morning...) and sitting in the parking lot until the last minute (or until I really really have to pee). I know I have to go, but ugh.

I just feel like everything sucks today. And you know what? I think that's okay. Because it *does* suck. There are so many frustrations, like waking up tired.

Anyway, the morning didn't turn out to be too bad. I saw the Fry Doctor today and got to complain about the ridiculous itching. Guess what it is? The hair follicles between my buttcheeks are irritated. Call me crazy, but I find that giggle-worthy. Awwww...the poor hair follicles don't like radiation! And could we call this a new low? The Fry Doctor and his nurse peering at my asshole to determine the problem? Rectal cancer is just full of wacky moments, people! So the Fry Doctor suggested switching from the aloe to hydrocortisone or benedryl cream.

Hydrocortisone cream works, by the way. Itching gone! Hooray! That alone improves my mood.

After all that nonsense, I had to deal with some scheduling.

I don't think I've talked about this much, but it was suggested that I strongly consider genetic counseling. It's unusual for someone my age to have rectal cancer, and unless we have a strong family history of it, there's a possibility that I have something called Lynch Syndrome. Lynch predisposes the lucky genetic carriers to all kinds of cancer. Well, yay!? And not only yay for me (and I hope you can read the sarcasm, because I'm laying it on pretty thick), but also for my children. If I do have Lynch Syndrome I do have some options to protect myself from the more common cancers it can cause, mainly by hacking out some organs I don't need at the moment. Like my ovaries and uterus. I have mixed feelings about that whole can of worms, and I'm choosing NOT to talk a lot about it until we have more information. It's just one of those things that really upsets me. So yeah.

Anyway, scheduling. So I had to work with the chemo scheduler to make sure the appointment we have for next Thursday will be okay. Everyone at the cancer center is nice, by the way. I really can't say that enough. With a little back and forth, I got things set up so I have another fun filled day next Thursday.

Now if I can shake this headache, the rest of the day will be peachy keen!

5 comments:

  1. Julie says, Sheri, I wish I could take all this away from you. My not being able to get motivated is really minimal compared to all you are dealing with. I feel your pain and suffering. Good thoughts to you!! Hugs and kisses, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry your having a bad day Sheri. Thinking of you and sending lots of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you, each and every day.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheri. DNA testing shouldn't be hard-it takes many weeks to get the results. Dagny has a DNA change. The geneticist docs have a reputation for being super nice and extremely thorough. You should be able to get a solid answer with a cheek swab and lots of waiting (up to 2 months, i think). -Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, mom had some things removed pre-emptively. If you ever want to talk to her, let me know. She just had her ovaries removed last week.

    ReplyDelete