Thursday, October 29, 2009

Screwy genes

That's right! Mine could be screwed up in one of two ways. There's the sporadic "So Sorry About Your Shitty Luck" genes that are not in fact passed on genetically. I hope I explain this right...showing the little pictures the Gene Whiz drew would probably be better. Should I preface this by saying that I'm not a geneticist, and I certainly don't play one on tv? Anyway, there are two copies of information in cells. Events in a person's life can cause these cells to be altered, and when they're altered too much they don't work the same way anymore. This is how many people develop cancer, but it usually takes a lifetime for this to happen. That's why most people get cancer later in life.

The other way cells can get screwed up is genetically, such as by faulty cells being passed on down a family tree. This could be Lynch Syndrom or what have you.

So the plan is to test some of the cells from the biopsy and see what's what. I have to say, I was surprised that those rectal tumor cells are still hanging around someplace. And I'm also glad they can be of use for something other than diagnosing cancer, because that biopsy hurt like eight bitches on a bitch boat (bonus points if you know where that phrase is from...hahahaha). The cells have to take a trip to the Mayo Clinic, so we won't have results for a couple of weeks.

Until then, let's get back to focusing on the end of radiation, which is fast approaching (four days!!), shall we?

2 comments:

  1. Aqua Teen Hunger Force!!!! (I confess, I've never watched an episode. I am an Ace at research. That law degree getter pay off somehow)

    Thinking of you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie said...

    I love your sense of humor!! I believe you got that gene from your Dad's side. I fell in love with him because of his sense of humor ( well one trait anyway)!!! We are counting down the days with you!!!

    Thinking of you and love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete