Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Yes, it's me!

Eric did such an awesome job keeping my blog up to date, I so appreciate that. Especially since the frst few days post surgery are a little fuzzy. IV pain meds will do that to you.

So I think we're on the home stretch of the hospital stay. All tubes are out, all IV meds have been discontinued (darn! good drugs, man, good drugs). The biggest problem, in my opinion anyway, has been my difficulty in peeing. For two days after the catheter was taken out, I had to be straight cathed because I couldn't pee. Everyone is mystified, for the most part. Today my doc ordered flomax to see if that would help, and I was able to go a couple of times so far. The trouble is that if I'm in pain it's hard to sit on the toilet and be patient. oh well, it's almost vicodin time.

I thought I would feel radically different somehow after surgery, that it would be some huge major change. It's not, really. Learning how to use the ostomy stuff hasn't been terrible at all. My body, aside from the pain of surgery and healing, still feels the same. If I didn't know it (although I have no picture proof, sigh), I'd still think my guts were all in place. It was an interesting revelation.

Speaking of the stoma, it's good. We're getting to be friendly and it really is pretty easy. The ostomy nurses are awesome (Hi, Ostomy Nurses!!!) and knowledgeable and patient. Eric and I feel confident we can do this on our own at home.

Home? Maybe today, but probably tomorrow. One day at a time, right?

3 comments:

  1. So happy to see you are feeling up to posting! Now go pee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and Julie said ...Hey Sheri, Now you are only going to get better. I really think that more Chemo is going to be a breeze after what you have been through. I felt so much better seeing you today. You look so much better. The kids are so excited about you coming home tomorrow! So am I!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So happy to hear that you are doing so much better!

    ReplyDelete