Thursday, January 21, 2010

and the chemo shall start...

in about two weeks. The date my onc is shooting for is February 4th.

I'm going to complain about the waiting however, before I talk about the actual visit. The waiting was freaking long. We waited in the back office for almost an hour, no joke. Do you know how hard those chairs are??? At one point I looked around the room and realized there was a pillow on the examining table! I have never been so glad to see a pillow. Unfortunately, it didn't make sitting much more comfortable.

Luckily the good news outweighed the painful sitting. The treatment before surgery killed off a lot of the cancer. Originally I had 4 lymph nodes affected, but three of them were taken care of by the radiation/chemo. The oncologist said my hemoglobin is back up to 10.1, so awesome. I'm slightly anemic, that was the most notable thing about my bloodwork.

Eric asked some questions, and it was decided to do the treatments on Thursday. His plan is to take Thursdays and Fridays off, at least until we know how I'm going to react to the chemo. That way I'll have some days to recover before he has to go back to work.

Oh! Guess what else? I have a UTI! I've had a low grade fever for a few days, some other symptoms, and it pointed to a UTI. Sure enough, my sample came back positive. So now I'm on some antibiotics to take care of that, and I'm hoping I'll feel tons better once that starts to clear up. Then I can get on with the actual healing.

Not a whole lot else...quite a lot of reclining relaxing and drinking of cranberry juice. Maybe when the date of my chemo start sinks in I'll have some feelings to write about. Until then, hope you have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Horrible as it sounds, I'm glad you have a UTI and not something more major, and I'm glad they got you some answers NOW instead of Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, me too! A UTI I think I can handle, and after taking a couple doses of cipro, I'm already feeling better. So yay for that!!

    ReplyDelete