Thursday, January 14, 2010

home again and hospital thoughts

Yes, I am home. I'll admit I was a little nervous about coming home, about not having nurses right there to help me. It was such a relief to walk in the door though, to my children and my comfy chair and my own bed. And showering. You don't know how awesome showering is until you aren't able to take one for seven days. It was rough last night, I won't lie. I cried because my Chinese noodles didn't taste right, and then yakked into a bucket because I got nauseous again. There's an emotional component about being hospitalized, and I think it just started to catch up to me last night finally. I usually don't cry over noodles.

Anyway, I thought about how to approach blogging about the hospital stay. Eric did such a fantastic job with the details and honestly, I don't remember much from the first few days. I remember low points, like losing it in the pre-op room and the nurse givinig me a sedative. The first time I walked from my bed to the doorway of my room was awful. Sitting on the toilet, trying to pee but being unable to get anything out. Being straight cathed numerous times. There were good points too, talking and laughing with Eric, who stayed with me the whole time, every night. Visitors, like my children and my mom. The nurses overall were amazing and helpful and supportive.

I will just leave it at the fact that this surgery was NOT easier than chemo/radiation. To the people who suggested it might be...um. NO. It was hard, probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I used to think that childbirth was the hardest, but at least the pain was over sooner, and I got a baby out of the deal. This time I got an ostomy bag, many stitches, and a script for vicodin.

If I think of other stuff, I'll post about it, but for now, I'll leave you with Eric's posts.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are finally home!! On a selfish note, it's great to see you blogging again. I love my brother, but I guess I hadn't realized how much your blogs have become part of my day. I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Sheri... I have witnessed the recovery from the surgery you just had as a Nurse. I can tell you that it is one of the more difficult surgeries to recover from, but it sounds like you are going through the normal progressions of recovery. Pretty much everyone I ever took care of with this surgery stayed in the hospital for the same amount of time as you did... regardless of age.

    As far as your noodles not tasting right, that could be a side effect of the pain meds (Vicoden). Pain meds often mess up the taste buds. So as you ween off the pain meds that should get better.

    I also agree with Sarah regarding your blog posts. I never realized until you blog that you are the funny one in the family. Glad to hear you are home.

    Mike S.

    ReplyDelete