Thursday, February 18, 2010

Double pumping it, baby, yeah!

No, it's not really that fantastic. But it's not too bad either. I can actually wear my chemo pump, so I think that will be my strategy. Yes, even in bed. I cannot imagine getting up in the middle of the night to pee and having to untangle TWO pumps hanging from my headboard. Not to mention all the tubes. Ugh. Luckily, I'll be free of the chemo pump sometime after lunch on Saturday. I think if it was the 24/7 5fu like last time, I would freak out and probably need way more happy pills than I am currently taking.

So chemo today. Man, it was a long day. We arrived at the cancer center at about 8:45 and didn't leave until close to 4pm. My blood counts and junk were a bit on the low side, so my trip today involved a shot to help my body make more red blood cells, and IV iron. It's frustrating watching people come and go, getting their chemo done way faster than me. I think we might have been the last to leave this afternoon.

As far as side effects, nothing really earth shattering yet. I'm very tired, but that could be partly due to not sleeping well last night. I thought the wound vac dressing changes would distract me totally from chemo, but I guess not. It's stressful knowing that my body is being pumped with poison. I understand that it also helps, and I sure as hell don't want rogue cancer cells settling down anywhere else. I really putzed around this morning though, secretly wishing I could just not show up. This is only the second one, and I had to give myself a talking to, rembering that I'm not only doing this for myself. I have a husband and two children counting on me getting better. I'm doing it as much for them.

All in all, it was an uneventful day. Chemo is tedious and boring, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment