Thursday, August 18, 2011

So the whole fam got up at the buttcrack of dawn yesterday to drag me over to the medical center.  My appointment was scheduled for 6:30am, which sounded like the best idea ever when I scheduled it, but it's crummy to have to wake up the kids.  I usually try to think about pitfalls like that, but when the scheduler is on the phone with the coordinator and she says, "How about 6:30am?"  I'm so on the spot.

We arrived to the medical center just a handful of minutes before my appt time, and I ended up waiting around.  The nurse who finally got me was nice, but she didn't know how to access a chemo port.  I had the option of letting her stick me in the arm or waiting around for someone who could deal with the port.  Seconds before she asked me this, she and another nurse had mumbled about the emergency room being crazy and everyone was there.  So I let the nurse stick me in the arm.  She assured me she was good at it, but it still took her two tires to get an IV line in.  Booooooo.  I've had worse pain, of course.

Honestly, I think I like the arm stick for the CT scan better.  It felt so weird last time, the dye going in the port.  It's warm when it spreads throughout your body, and you can feel lit.  Maybe I just wasn't used to that warming sensation going through my port.

The guy in the CT scan room recognized me and said, "You don't have your kids with you today?  This isn't a very good Mother's Morning out, is it?'  Hahahahahahaha.

Then I met up with Eric and the kids.  They had a way better time than I did, eating breakfast at the hospital cafe.  I got dropped off at the cancer center.

Waiting.  I did arrive a bit early though, and it wasn't too long.  I got a nice chair by the blanket warmer and the bathroom (do I sound like a little old woman when I gab about my chair??).  The volunteer swooped down on me, got me a blanket and even remembered that I like two blankets before I fall alseep.  And things were uneventful.

That was my Wednesday!  I'll see my oncologist next week and we'll see what's what.

Thank you so so much for all the positive thoughts and prayers.  This is hard for me, maybe not the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I feel like I need everything there is to get through these few chemo days.  Thank you.


  1. FYI - I have like 47 people from my college alumni group praying for a good result. And those are just the ones who responded :)

  2. We are rooting for you, Sheri! I hope that your chemo recovery is going well.