Saturday, May 15, 2010

Goodbye forever, little pump!

Yes, the little pump is off. Hopefully that will be the last time anyone has to access my alien port before it comes out on June 4th. That's right, my surgeon gets to hack into me one last time. For the record, my oncologist was totally supportive of me removing the port. He told us that my chances of recurrance were 50/50 without the 8 cycles of chemo, but with chemo I'm down to a 25% chance of recurrance. I feel comfortable ditching the alien port with those odds, and it can always be put back in should I need it.

But let's all hope that doesn't happen, right?

I've been thinking more about how many people have helped us through this. Anyone who made a meal, took care of my children when I couldn't, stopped by to check on us, drove us places...there are countless things people have done to support us.

Denelle, the muffins were fantastic. Om nom nom nom. Your willingness to listen and ask questions made me feel normal. We loved your visits, your veg chili, and how much you care about us. It means a LOT.

Heidi, Vanessa, Beth, Jehan...anyone who is willing to take on my hooligans in addition to their own children is a saint! Thank you for helping get them out of the house and doing fun things with them when I wasn't able to do so. More thank yous to people who offered, because tons of people did. I'm so lucky to be part of such a great community of people.

Sarah and Scott, the soups you made me were so yummy! Every single one of them was enjoyed. We love your visits, and thank you for helping while I was in the hospital.

Katie, thank you for asking how I'm doing, and for loaning us your fun schooly activities. :)

I'm sure I'm missing people. Look at how much help and support we've had over the past nine months! It's amazing and humbling and awesome. It has made me look at the world differently, look for ways I can help others.

This isn't the end. It's a new beginning. That doesn't mean we forget the past, but instead I think we celebrate triumphs, mourn things that didn't go so well, and move forward knowing that we're all stronger people.

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to thank us. We love you. There isn't a doubt that you would have done the same, if not more, for each one of us if roles had been reversed. We are all so excited to have our healthy Sheri back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with Sarah.

    Sheri, I'm so excited about this new beginning for you too!

    ReplyDelete