Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sad News

I went on colonclub the other day to find out what people do about mouth sores (biotene! in case you were wondering). I read that one of the longtime and active members of the message board died. I didn't know her very well, but I remember reading her posts and thinking that she was so helpful and kind. The whole time she was fighting her own battle, but still so willing to give information or encouragement. It just made me really sad.

I don't think about death and dying very often. It's not something brought up by my doctors, who have assured me that what I'm dealing with is curable. But it's scary. This cancer kills people. It's such a sobering thought. People that I've come to know are going to die from colorectal cancer.

Even I'm not truly out of the woods yet. Doctors will be watching my liver because if it's going to come back that's the most likely place. If we find it early, then we deal with it. I choose not to dwell on it because it's something I can't control.

I tell my kids that I'll always come back, from the doctor, from wherever. But that's not entirely true, I suppose. There's always a chance that someething might happen. I struggle with what to say to them sometimes. I don't want to lie, but I don't want them to worry. Right now we have nothing to worry about. They're so little, it's hard.

I don't know. It just plain sucks that mothers and fathers are dying from colorectal cancer and leaving behind families. There is nothing fair about cancer.

If you have some positive thoughts to spare today, maybe send them to the universe for all the people who are struggling with cancer. I know it's a small thing to do, but I think it really makes a difference.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in my office at the church and our message today was about "hope," particularly in times of struggle. Your post was right on target with the message because one of the things our pastor said was that, yes, we're going to have very difficult times in our lives, but that we have friends, family, a community of faith and God who loves us. We are here to encourage and lift each other up, even in the midst of cancer, disabilities, addictions, foreclosures and a shaky economy. It sounds like your message board friend could've preached this sermon today. Actually, she did, every day, as she continually ministered to all of you who are fighting the same battle, with her words of encouragement and support.

    I'm thankful that you have a place like that where you can find friends who are walking the same walk. There's nothing that helps us more than knowing that someone else has been, or presently is, in our shoes. This person has left a great legacy of love. I have no doubt that you are continuing her legacy as you share, encourage and support others on the message board and in your day-to-day life. The life lessons you're teaching your children is immeasurable and can't be taught in a book.

    Take care of yourself. We continue our prayers for you and your family,

    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri, I have cried a ton of tears for you and your family! A day doesn't go by that I don't pray for you, and your healing. I believe God has a plan for your life! You have reached many people with this Blog, giving others the strength to move on and know that they have a purpose in this life. Keep on making a difference in other peoples lives. Let your faith and strength shine through in your day to day life! You are a great Mom! Your struggles with cancer have definitely changed the way I think about my own life. Cancer is not just in someone else's family. It can be in anyone's family, your own family. We need to support each other, and be there for each other. I love you!! Just know that your fight is my fight! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete