Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Can I bitch, please?

I know, I know, you're thinking, "What the hell is she complaining about now??" Hahahahahahaha.

Let's talk ostomies, people. Overall, I don't have a problem with mine. I think it looks little and cute, and I appreciate that it was an option for me, I really really do. It does its job and we peacefully coexist together. As long as I am wearing pajama pants.

That's where the problem comes in. I'm tired of pajama pants. The wound vac will be coming off soon (if I have my way, that is). I'd like to wear real clothes, please. Don't get me wrong, my pajama pants rock...for sleeping in and staying at home.

I was going through all my clothes today in preparation for the big move, and guess what? Some of the clothes I've been hoarding in case they fit someday now fit! That's awesome, isn't it? Except that all my pants have a waistline that sits right over my ostomy. Some of them are big enough that I can button them up and my ostomy pouch is just inside my pants. But I don't like the way that feels. It feels all crammed up in there. The one pair of low rise capris I tried on were perfect, so I know I need to seek out the low rise pants. I'm totally irritated though that so many of my clothes fit and I'm going to donate them anyway because they don't work with my ostomy. And it's all my personal preference because I would rather have the pouch outside my pants and covered by a longer shirt than tucked inside.

Maybe I just need to play around with clothes a little more. I have plenty of skirts, so maybe I'll become a rockin' skirt person, with my kick ass man sandals and some long tank tops. That would involve shaving my legs, and let's just not go there today (it's pretty scary).

I'm not stressed about my clothes. I know I'll find my own new reality style, and I've only just begun looking. It's just irritating that I FINALLY fit into some of these clothes and they're not working for me. Less clothes to move, I guess!

Ostomies aren't such a big deal. And I'm not saying that so everyone will rush out and get one to be cool like me. Not spending my life in the bathroom is so nice. My ostomy is easy to take care of and hasn't really given me many troubles. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't know. Just in case anyone is reading who is facing an ostomy because of colorectal cancer, I want you to know that it does take some getting used to, but it will be okay. I don't talk about mine much because it's the least of my troubles. Your milage, of course, may vary!

Thanks for the bitch session. I'm going to be okay, for real. New reality, that's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment