Friday, November 13, 2009

Yay for Friday!

On my one week Done With Radiation anniversary, I'm pleased to report that my ass hurts less. I've been longing to share more good news here, so that's my good news for the day. Don't get too excited because I'm still not moving very fast, but it's so much less hurty.

I'm scared of pooping though. That really burns, man. BURNS. And before you suggest diaper rash cream, because I know someone will, the zinc in diaper rash cream is NOT good for radiation burns. It will make them worse. I know this because I read it on the internets. Besides, I don't know that it's helpful to wrack our brains for something to put on this. The burn cream and the aloe are working great. I suspect I just need more time. So I suppose if you have some sort of time machine that might be useful. Anyway, back to the poop. The sitz bath does help with that pain.

Really, I'm going to be okay. In a lot of ways life sucks, but in so many more it's all good. Kids in pleasant moods, friends stopping over for tea, delicious Annie's scrambled tofu meal, huge box of vegan chocolate...see? Even if a time machine was possible, would I want to miss all these wonderful little moments? I don't know that I appreciated these little things as much before cancer. I took many things for granted, that they would just always be there. It's easy to do that when we get busy, when it seems more important to clean the house or run the errands than to play with our kids or hug our spouse. Cause no one is going anywhere, right? Not my family, because bad things don't happen to my family. But I'm proof that bad things DO happen. So, you know, don't live in fear of those bad things. But remember to appreciate today, right now.

Aren't you glad that my mind is off the pain in my ass so I can concentrate on philosophizing? Ahahahahahahahahaha. No worries, I'm sure I'll be back to writing about disgusting and weird things soon.

2 comments:

  1. And Julie say...It is easy to think nothing bad will happen to my family. If I have learned anything through your bout with cancer it is to appreciate what we have for today!! We love you so much!!! My goal in this life is to make everyday count! You are the one who inspired me to make this goal for myself. Your sharing what is happening to you is affecting many peoples lives, including your own Mother. I love how you tell it like it is!!! Have a great Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri,
    You probably don't remember who I am, but I am your dad's first cousin, Sharon. The last time I saw you was at your Grandma Margaret's 85th birthday. What a fun afternoon that was - your grandma rocks, as does your whole family.

    I have been following your blog since the very beginning of your journey. It has been happy, sad, enlightening, strong, hilarious, and very thought provoking to read what you have been going through. I catch up with you every morning before I go to work. You are one very strong young lady and I think how you are handling your cancer is the very BEST way to handle cancer or any other health issue. I'm glad that radiation is over for you and with your attitude and sense of humor, the rest of your journey will buzz by quickly, you will kick your cancer's ass and be back to doing what you love to do! Larry and Julie, you must be so proud of your daughter, congratulations on raising such a wonderful young woman. Eric, it sounds as if you are the kind of husband that every woman dreams about - keep it up, it will make a huge difference in Sheri's recovery. Sheri, don't apologize for cursing - it obviously had helped you to tell it like it is and I admire your courage. Keep writing, your blog is interesting and it has made an impact on my life. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete