Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fuck you, ass cancer.

Hey, I warned you.

The title of this blog is from one of my favorite movies, Superbad. I know, I know, swearing and depravity and hijinks and alcohol in Tide containers. Really, if you haven't seen it, it's a pretty good movie. Hilarious, especially when you're feeling happy from your Malibu and Cherry Coke, but still quite funny sober. Anyway, one of my favorite parts of the movie is Seth explaining to his Home Ec teacher why he doesn't want to work alone, and he ends his tirade (in which he basically calls Home Ec a joke, no offense) by saying, almost as an afterthought, "I'm sorry for cursing." I always laugh at that part. I think we might even have just that part somewhere on the DVR, just so I can watch it over and over again.

I suspect in the next weeks and months, I'll need to rely on things I find humorous. Today I found out that I have rectal cancer. What the hell, right? I don't know about you, but rectal cancer has never been a cancer I worried about. Skin cancer? As a redhead, I think I'm obligated to worry about that. Breast cancer? I kind of think most women have fleeting worries about this. So this whole crazy thing came out of nowhere, absolute blindside.

This blog will be my adventures, my thoughts, a record of what's going on. Along the way I'll share more about who I am, about my family, about our life. It's evident that something as huge as a cancer diagnosis can rapidly consume one's life, but that's not all I am, and it's not even the tip of the iceberg of my awesome family.

To friends and family who have sent well wishes, thoughts, and prayers, thank you so much. If I didn't respond to you personally, you probably made me cry (way to go, man...kidding) and then I got distracted. I appreciate everyone in my life right now.

4 comments: