Monday, July 23, 2012

No Regrets, Man

I was asked a question after my guilt post yesterday and didn't feel like I could answer it in the comments.  So I'll answer here.

Are you glad you have opted for the treatments?

YES.  It's been three years since I was diagnosed (well, almost) and I feel like I'm still going strong.  In those three years, our family has moved twice, taken awesome trips to places like Key West and freaking Cambodia.  I've made great friends.  I've been homeschooling my children and enjoying my husband.  None of us know how much time we have on this Earth and I feel I've been making the best of it and living life.

I feel strongly that cancer, as crappy as it is, has opened up doors for our family too.  I don't think we would have made a move (let alone two!!) if we were all healthy.  I think we would have pushed off and pushed off our trip to Cambodia, waiting for the time to be "right."  I'm not sure we would be going to church, leaning on God to help us through.  I would have missed out on meeting some of the most amazing people.

Is chemo fun?  Uh, NO.  But I don't regret doing it.

Does it allow you quality time with your family that you would have otherwise not been around for?

I think so.  I went out for a walk/run this morning.  It was the first time I've been out in a long time, and I only ran for a few minutes out of the total time, but I'd consider it quality time.  Last night before the kids went to bed, I read them a few chapters from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  On Saturday our family went to a birthday party together, then out for sushi.  Sunday morning we went to church.  In March, we went to Cambodia.  Our little family is so blessed.  I have a lot of quality time.

I go for chemo every other week.  I spend maybe four days feeling yucky.  I don't like it much, but I do it for the time it does give me.  We saw what the cancer does when I'm off chemo after my month-long break in March.  The chemo slows it down, and I'm thankful for that.

And...the wound.

First of all, it doesn't hurt.  It's just there, a hole in what should be a Barbie butt.  Once a day Eric the Awesome takes out the old gauze and packs a new gauze in it.  That's about all.  If I forget to have him change it, sometimes it will get rashy.  Will it heal?  I'm guessing no.  Can I have surgery?  Only if I go off chemo, and I'm not doing that anytime soon.  So yeah.

I'm totally open and willing to talk about cancer.  Questions are always welcome!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sheri! I want to thank you for being so open about your cancer, your treatments and how you're doing with it all.

    I always felt that being open and talking about what's going on made me feel better and also helped others to understand what I was going through.

    From time to time I go back through my blog/diary to remember what I was going through at the time. In reading your blog over the past year I can honestly tell you that you've grown so much. I know there are days you're down but so much of what you have to say is really positive now.

    I pray for you every day. I'm so happy that God has given me five years beyond my initial cancer diagnosis and that He continues to work in your life. You are a real inspiration to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to respond.Means a lot.People need to know that this stuff (chemo)isn't all (only)about bald heads and bandanas.It's almost been to 'sanitised' when I think of ads and stuff.Your posts are educational. Will keep on praying for you and your dear family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, Sheri, you continue to impress and inspire me with your strength and wisdom. I love you, beautiful turtle lady.

    ReplyDelete