Saturday, June 5, 2010

I almost forgot!

The other night a friend who also happens to have an ostomy invited me to an ostomy support group. I thought it would be worth checking out, so I met her there. If you're in the Fox Valley and are in need of ostomy support, check out the group at St. Elizabeth's Hospital. WCONurses hang out there, as do many very nice people (and funny! lots of laughs). I bet if you go to the St. E's website, you can find some more info. Or just leave me a little note and I'll see what I can do.

At the group, they mentioned this website: http://www.wocn.org/index.php It looks like it could be very helpful, especially if you're looking for a WCON in your area or perhaps an area of travel.

One of the things that really impressed me was how positive the people were at the group. They are able to laugh at themselves, find humor in their situation. They are willing to share information and helpful tips. They are great listeners. I hope I can continue to be as positive about my ostomy.

The other thing that was really good for me to see was people who have dealt with colorectal cancer and are still living their lives years and years after diagnosis. I like to hear about and see in action success stories. I hope to be a success story too.

No comments:

Post a Comment