Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Weekend and Finding Joy

I have a couple pregnant friends, and this weekend I think I could really relate to their experiences with morning sickness.  Blech.  Eric asked me if my nausea was worse than normal, but I think the issue was my month off.  I'm sure the roast I threw in the crockpot in an attempt to care for and feed my family didn't help.  The whole apartment smelled like meat for two days.  Double Blech.  Oh well, you live, you learn, right?

One of the things I struggle with on chemo weekends is sliding down into the dark.  Feeling sorry for myself.  Getting grumpy.  Woe is me.  Two things helped me this past weekend.  Thing #1:  Eric, the kids, and I took a walk on Saturday afternoon.  Fresh air was a plus, but getting outside reminded me that the world is bigger than me.  As we walked by the lake, I was able to get past myself and think about the beauty of the evening, the birds, the water.  It was nice.

Thing #2:  Reese and I walked down the street to a new church on Sunday.  The sermon was about joy.  Finding joy in life even when going through difficult circumstances.  If Paul, locked up in jail, could find joy, I think I can too.  It's not easy, and I hope, reader, that you don't think I'm preaching to you.  Everyone is in a different place.  I did sad, I did angry, and sometimes I still feel those things.  For me, it's time to move on.  I have so many things that I'm thankful for, so many things that bring me joy.  Part of fighting, for me, is finding joy.  I'm tough, I don't have to wallow in the dark when I have a choice to find light. 

I was still dragging on Monday, but this morning I feel much better.  I'm going to try to get out and run today. 

Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts over the past couple weeks.  Change is hard for me, but it was all a lot easier knowing that people were thinking about me.

Have a great week!!!

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you this weekend and I'm happy to hear you are finally feeling a bit better. As always, all our love and prayers are being sent your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom said... I just want you to know that you are an inspiration to me!! Finding joy in life everyday is where it is at. I find it hard at times, finding joy. But I try to press on, being thankful for all I have in my life. I thank God everyday for my family!! I thank God for nature. I find much joy in the birds in my backyard. Sometimes the smallest things can give us joy. I try very hard to be aware of everything that brings me joy. You will continue to be in my prayers!!! I love you!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're getting past the yucky days. I find the psalms are great for both grumpy times and joyful times, when you need to wallow and when you need to be lifted up to the light.

    Peace,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete