Thursday, July 14, 2011

I think everyone has challenges in life, and things that they can work on.  Over these past couple years, I have come to find that one thing I have a really hard time with is asking for and accepting help from others.  I'm not sure why this is.  What is it about asking for help that is so hard?  Am I worried that I will be turned away without reason?  Am I afraid that I will look weak or appear too needy?  Am I worried about taking more than I am able to give?  Inconveniencing others? 

I can think of many times when I should have asked for help and didn't.  When Reese and I were having so much trouble breastfeeding at the beginning.  When I struggled with difficult situations in high school and college.  When I have just needed to talk to someone over the past couple years.

In most cases, people WANT to help.  People want to feel needed.  I know this.  I feel the same way, I'm happy to help others.  My first reaction when someone asks if I need anything is to say, "Oh no, I'm fine."  I know that friends have said the same thing when I offered to help them, and I wonder if they just feel the same way I do about accepting help.  It's hard, even though I know in my mind that we're all better together, helping each other.

This is something I will ponder and work on.

It's amazing the lessons you learn (and learn, and learn, haha) on the journey, isn't it?

1 comment: