Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Excitement

We were sitting around tonight when I happened to look at my legs. My right ankle was swollen and kind of gross, very much like when I was pregnant. It was only the one leg, which I thought was odd. My oncologist asks EVERY SINGLE TIME if there's any swelling in my legs. They must ask that for a reason, right? Eric suggested that I call the oncology unit. I talked to the on call oncologist (say that one five times fast) who after hearing about the swelling and the whole rectal cancer thing said I needed to go to the emergency room to have my leg ultrasounded. Apparently cancer patients are at risk for blood clots. Who knew??

So Eric and I loaded the kids up in the car for a fun field trip to the hospital. The last time I was in an emergency room I had a concussion from a car accident. I didn't realize how much hurry up and wait there was in an ER since I don't spend much time there. Anyhoo, the very nice ultrasound tech came and squirted the jelly on my leg, looked at the veins, listened to the blood flow, and that was pretty much it. Having a baby ultrasound is much more fun, in case you were wondering. A radiologist had to look at the images and report back to the doctor, who then had to talk to us. More waiting! More kids bouncing around the tiny room we were in because they were overtired (this occured right around bedtime, sigh). More me being worried that I had a blood clot that I was sure would totally disrupt my plans for the rest of the week.

After a while, the doctor came back and said I was fine. Eric took the kids to get the car from the valet (oh la la!) while I got dressed. The nurse gave me discharge papers and we left.

See? Exciting!

But not really. I'm supposed to ask my oncologist to take a look when I go in next week. I guess it's about time I asked why they keep pestering me about swollen legs.

Anyhoo, Eric posted a fun pic of the party in the ER on facebook. You should go look.

2 comments:

  1. After surgery for cancer treatment there is a condition called lymphodema. My friend who had uterine cancer got lymphodema. She had to have physical therapy on her legs and wear a special knee sock. I also knew a lady who had an ap resect like myself and she too got lymphodema so you might want to discuss this with your doctor. Good news about their not being a blood clot. I think the blood clot is more common the first 6 months after surgery.
    Diane
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Diane, I'll definitely bring it up when I see the onc next week. :)

    ReplyDelete